Water Resource Links

Consumer Confidence Report

Consumer Confidence Reports, which are essentially water quality reports, were mandated by the federal government as part of the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) Amendments of 1996, signed into law by President Clinton on August 6, 1996.  Additional information regarding the SDWA is available by calling the EPA at 1-800-426-4791 or by viewing the EPA website at www.epa.gov/safewater.  

The SDWA amendments were intended to establish a new emphasis on preventing contamination problems in drinking water by encouraging source water protection and enhanced water system management. The underlying assumption is that drinking water coming out of a treatment plant is likely better if raw water going into the plant is cleaner and less contaminated. 

The SDWA amendments transform the previous law by replacing the “after the fact” regulatory focus with a more proactive, environmental statute that is intended to better provide for the sustainable use of water by our nation’s public water systems and their customers. 

On a federal level, administration and enforcement of the SDWA is the responsibility of the EPA. On a state level, administration and enforcement of the SDWA is the responsibility of the MDH. On a local level, administration and enforcement of the SDWA and related water quality standards is the responsibility of the City of International Falls and its Water Treatment Plant Operators. All Water Treatment Plant Operators are duly trained and licensed by MDH to operate and maintain a water treatment plant in compliance with state and federal drinking water standards and regulations. 

Water systems are required to summarize annual monitoring and testing results and present the findings to its customers in the form of CCR’s. SDWA requirements for publishing and/or distribution of the CCR vary based on the number of customers served by the community water system. We publish on the City’s website, www.cityofstjoseph.com. The CCR is also available by request. Requests for copies of the CCR or any other questions about the City of St. Joseph's drinking water should be directed to Terry Thene, Public Works Director at 320-363-7201 or e-mail at email Terry TheneCopies of the CCR will be provided free of charge.

View the Consumer Confidence Report