Hook & Ladder Co. 1
Originally called Hook and Ladder Co. 1, the St. Joseph Volunteer Fire Department has been providing fire protection services as early as 1855. In 1892, The Hook and Ladder Co. 1 was formally changed to the St. Joseph Fire Department. Today, the St. Joseph Fire Department provides services to the residents of the City of St. Joseph, Township of St. Joseph, and the southern portion of St. Wendel Township.
The Fire Department is part of the City of St. Joseph but managed by the Fire Board. The Fire Board consists of the following members:
- Jeff Taufen, Fire Chief
- Bob Loso, City of St. Joseph
- Doug Fredrickson, St. Joseph Township
- Greg Salk, St. Wendel Township
- Therese Haffner, City Administrator
The board meets quarterly, serving as a policy and fiscal board, serving at the pleasure of the City Council and township boards.
Information About the Fire Department
The St. Joseph Fire Department consists of 30 volunteers who operate out of one fire station. The department provides fire and rescue services. The majority of responses are medical in nature. The department status is pay-per-response. The ISO rating for the department is 05/5X.
The Fire Department belongs to the following associations:
- Minnesota State Fire Department Association
- Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- Lake Region Association
- Stearns County EMS
- Central MN Fire Aid Association